The Tan House Singers seek a new Music Director
Since 2011, the Tan House Singers have been fortunate to have as their Music Director Janet Upon, an experienced conductor, choral singer, trainer and accomplished pianist and flautist. Janet plans to step down in July 2020 to make way for a new Music Director in September 2020.
We are looking for a dynamic and experienced choral conductor with excellent communication skills, a sense of fun and an interest in developing our repertoire and building on our reputation as a good amateur choir. A clear directing style is paramount.
We are a non-auditioned, 40-voice SATB choir and our repertoire ranges from early music to modern. We perform three concerts a year and host an annual Come and Sing event. We rehearse on Monday evenings between 7.30 pm and 9.30 pm throughout the school calendar, in Blaisdon Village Hall. We can offer an honorarium per rehearsal and a fee for conducting concerts and Come and Sing events.
The responsibilities of the Music Director would include:
- Planning repertoire (currently done in consultation with a repertoire committee)
- Conducting all concerts and performances
- Selecting and engaging soloists and advising on instrumental requirements for concerts
- Attending committee meetings as an ex officio member (approximately eight times a year)
- Attending and reporting to the AGM
- Being the public face of the choir
Essential qualifications include:
- Experience of directing and conducting choral works
- Knowledge of a wide range of choral music
- Ability to communicate with enthusiasm, passion, encouragement and good humour
- An ability to bring out the best from a choir comprising members of varying abilities
- Ability and readiness to work in collaboration with the committee.
We have been rehearsing for some time now without an accompanist since our current MD has been willing to provide some accompaniment during a rehearsal. Please indicate whether you would require an accompanist.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview and to conduct part of a choir rehearsal – dates will depend upon Coronavirus constraints.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for this position. Send applications or requests for more information to Sylvia Funston, Secretary THS at firstname.lastname@example.org.